1. The client with hyperparathyroidism should have extremities handled gently because
a. Decreased calcium bone deposits can lead to pathologic fractures.
b. Edema causes stretched tissue to tear easily.
c. Polyuria leads to dry skin and mucous membranes that can break down.
d. Hypertension can lead to a stroke with residual paralysis.
2. The nurse will evaluate for the most significant complication in clients undergoing chronic peritoneal dialysis, which is
d. Pulmonary embolism.
3. A female client had a laparoscopic cholecystectomy this morning. She is now complaining of right shoulder pain. The nurse would explain to the client this symptom is
a. Expected after general anesthesia.
b. Common following this operation.
c. Indicative of a need to use the incentive spirometer.
d. Unusual and will be reported to the surgeon.
4. A client has been admitted to the hospital with a tentative diagnosis of adrenocortical hyperfunction. In assessing the client, an observable sign the nurse would chart is
a. Butterfly rash on the face.
b. Positive Chvostek’s sign.
c. Moon face.
d. Bloated extremities.
5. Thrombophlebitis is a common complication following vascular surgery. Which of the following signs indicates that a possible thrombus has occurred?
a. Kernig’s sign.
b. Homan’s sign.
c. Brudzinski’s sign.
d. Hegar’s sign.
6. A 16-year-old girl has a known arteriovenous malformation of the middle cerebral artery. In talking to the school nurse, she complains of a headache and stiff neck. The nurse would take which of the following actions?
a. Have the client rest for 2 hours, then reevaluate the situation.
b. Send her home right away to rest.
c. Call her mother and have her picked up from school to see the physician.
d. Make preparations for emergency transfer to an acute care setting.
7. The assessment finding that should be reported immediately should it develop in the client with acute pancreatitis is
a. Decreased bowel sounds.
b. Nausea and vomiting.
c. Shortness of breath.
d. Abdominal pain.
8. When assessing an ECG, the nurse knows that the P-R interval represents the time it takes for the
a. Impulse to begin atrial contraction.
b. Impulse to traverse the atria to the AV node.
c. Impulse to travel to the ventricles.
d. SA node to discharge the impulse to begin atrial depolarization.
9. The non-insulin-dependent diabetic who is obese is best controlled by weight loss because obesity
a. Reduces insulin binding at receptor sites.
b. Reduces pancreatic insulin production.
c. Reduces the number of insulin receptors.
d. Causes pancreatic islet cell exhaustion.
10. Following spinal anesthesia, a client is brought into the recovery room. The assessment data that indicates a complication of anesthesia has developed is
b. No urge to void.
d. Numbness in legs.
11. The RN should assess for which of the following clinical manifestations in the client with Cushing’s syndrome?
a. Unexplained weight gain, energy loss, and cold intolerance.
b. Hypertension, diaphoresis, nausea, and vomiting.
c. Tetany, irritability, dry skin, and seizures.
d. Water retention, moon face, hirsutism, and purple striae.
12. When a client is in liver failure, which of the following behavioral changes is the most important assessment to report?
c. Shortness of breath.
13. Conditions known to predispose to renal calculi formation include
b. Dehydration, immobility.
c. Presence of an indwelling Foley catheter.
14. A female client complains of gnawing midepigastric pain for a few hours after meals. At times, when the pain is severe, vomiting occurs. Specific tests are indicated to rule out
a. Chronic gastritis.
b. Peptic ulcer disease.
c. Cancer of the stomach.
15. A client is on a disposal water-seal system with chest tubes in place. The charge nurse assigns the LVN to milk the chest tubes to maintain patency. The RN understands that the correct LVN action is to
a. Milk the tubes toward the client.
b. Tell the charge nurse that this assignment is not appropriate for LVNs.
c. Complete the assignment and chart the intervention in the client’s record.
d. Check that the physician has written orders to milk the chest tubes.