1. Katherine is a young Unit Manager of the Pediatric Ward. Most of her staff nurses are senior to her, very articulate, confident and sometimes aggressive. Katherine feels uncomfortable believing that she is the scapegoat of everything that goes wrong in her department. Which of the following is the best action that she must take?
Identify the source of the conflict and understand the points of friction
Disregard what she feels and continue to work independently
Seek help from the Director of Nursing
Quit her job and look for another employment.
2. As a young manager, she knows that conflict occurs in any organization. Which of the following statements regarding conflict is NOT true?
Can be destructive if the level is too high
Is not beneficial; hence it should be prevented at all times
May result in poor performance
May create leaders
3. Katherine tells one of the staff, “I don’t have time to discuss the matter with you now. See me in my office later” when the latter asks if they can talk about an issue. Which of the following conflict resolution strategies did she use?
4. Kathleen knows that one of her staff is experiencing burnout. Which of the following is the best thing for her to do?
Advise her staff to go on vacation.
Ignore her observations; it will be resolved even without intervention
Remind her to show loyalty to the institution.
Let the staff ventilate her feelings and ask how she can be of help.
5. She knows that performance appraisal consists of all the following activities EXCEPT:
Setting specific standards and activities for individual performance.
Using agency standards as a guide.
Determine areas of strength and weaknesses
Focusing activity on the correction of identified behavior.
6. Which of the following statements is NOT true about performance appraisal?
Informing the staff about the specific impressions of their work help improve their performance.
A verbal appraisal is an acceptable substitute for a written report
Patients are the best source of information regarding personnel appraisal.
The outcome of performance appraisal rests primarily with the staff.
7. There are times when Katherine evaluates her staff as she makes her daily rounds. Which of the following is NOT a benefit of conducting an informal appraisal?
The staff member is observed in natural setting.
Incidental confrontation and collaboration is allowed.
The evaluation is focused on objective data systematically.
The evaluation may provide valid information for compilation of a formal report.
8. She conducts a 6-month performance review session with a staff member. Which of the following actions is appropriate?
She asks another nurse to attest the session as a witness.
She informs the staff that she may ask another nurse to read the appraisal before the session is over.
She tells the staff that the session is manager-centered.
The session is private between the two members.
9. Alexandra is tasked to organize the new wing of the hospital. She was given the authority to do as she deems fit. She is aware that the director of nursing has substantial trust and confidence in her capabilities, communicates through downward and upward channels and usually uses the ideas and opinions of her staff. Which of the following is her style of management?
10. She decides to illustrate the organizational structure. Which of the following elements is NOT included?
Level of authority
Lines of communication
Span of control
Unity of direction
11. She plans of assigning competent people to fill the roles designed in the hierarchy. Which process refers to this?
12. She checks the documentary requirements for the applicants for staff nurse position. Which one is NOT necessary?
Certificate of previous employment
Record of related learning experience (RLE)
Membership to accredited professional organization
Professional identification card
13. Which phase of the employment process includes getting on the payroll and completing documentary requirements?
14. She tries to design an organizational structure that allows communication to flow in all directions and involve workers in decision making. Which form of organizational structure is this?
15. In a horizontal chart, the lowest level worker is located at the
Left most box
Right most box
16. She decides to have a decentralized staffing system. Which of the following is an advantage of this system of staffing?
greater control of activities
Compatible with computerization
Promotes better interpersonal relationship
17. Aubrey thinks about primary nursing as a system to deliver care. Which of the following activities is NOT done by a primary nurse?
Collaborates with the physician
Provides care to a group of patients together with a group of nurses
Provides care for 5-6 patients during their hospital stay.
Performs comprehensive initial assessment
18. Which pattern of nursing care involves the care given by a group of paraprofessional workers led by a professional nurse who take care of patients with the same disease conditions and are located geographically near each other?
Nursing case management
19. St. Raphael Medical Center just opened its new Performance Improvement Department. Ms. Valencia is appointed as the Quality Control Officer. She commits herself to her new role and plans her strategies to realize the goals and objectives of the department. Which of the following is a primary task that they should perform to have an effective control system?
Make an interpretation about strengths and weaknesses
20. Ms. Valencia develops the standards to be followed. Among the following standards, which is considered as a structure standard?
The patients verbalized satisfaction of the nursing care received
Rotation of duty will be done every four weeks for all patient care personnel.
All patients shall have their weights taken recorded
Patients shall answer the evaluation form before discharge
21. When she presents the nursing procedures to be followed, she refers to what type of standards?
22. The following are basic steps in the controlling process of the department. Which of the following is NOT included?
Measure actual performance
Set nursing standards and criteria
Compare results of performance to standards and objectives
Identify possible courses of action
23. Which of the following statements refers to criteria?
Agreed on level of nursing care
Characteristics used to measure the level of nursing care
Statement which guide the group in decision making and problem solving
24. She wants to ensure that every task is carried out as planned. Which of the following tasks is NOT included in the controlling process?
Instructing the members of the standards committee to prepare policies
Reviewing the existing policies of the hospital
Evaluating the credentials of all nursing staff
Checking if activities conform to schedule
25. Ms. Valencia prepares the process standards. Which of the following is NOT a process standard?
Initial assessment shall be done to all patients within twenty four hours upon admission.
Informed consent shall be secured prior to any invasive procedure
Patients’ reports 95% satisfaction rate prior to discharge from the hospital.
Patient education about their illness and treatment shall be provided for all patients and their families.
26. Which of the following is evidence that the controlling process is effective?
The things that were planned are done
Physicians do not complain.
Employees are contended
There is an increase in customer satisfaction rate.
27. Ms. Valencia is responsible to the number of personnel reporting to her. This principle refers to:
Span of control
Unity of command
Carrot and stick principle
Esprit d’ corps
28. She notes that there is an increasing unrest of the staff due to fatigue brought about by shortage of staff. Which action is a priority?
Evaluate the overall result of the unrest
Initiate a group interaction
Develop a plan and implement it
Identify external and internal forces.
29. Kevin is a member of the Nursing Research Council of the hospital. His first assignment is to determine the level of patient satisfaction on the care they received from the hospital. He plans to include all adult patients admitted from April to May, with average length of stay of 3-4 days, first admission, and with no complications. Which of the following is an extraneous variable of the study?
Date of admission
Length of stay
Age of patients
Absence of complications
30. He thinks of an appropriate theoretical framework. Whose theory addresses the four modes of adaptation?
Sr. Callista Roy
31. He opts to use a self-report method. Which of the following is NOT TRUE about this method?
Most direct means of gathering information
Versatile in terms of content coverage
Most accurate and valid method of data gathering
Yields information that would be difficult to gather by another method
32. Which of the following articles would Kevin least consider for his review of literature?
“Story-Telling and Anxiety Reduction Among Pediatric Patients”
“Turnaround Time in Emergency Rooms”
“Outcome Standards in Tertiary Health Care Institutions”
“Environmental Manipulation and Client Outcomes”
33. Which of the following variables will he likely EXCLUDE in his study?
Competence of nurses
Caring attitude of nurses
Salary of nurses
Responsiveness of staff
34. He plans to use a Likert Scale to determine
degree of agreement and disagreement
compliance to expected standards
level of satisfaction
degree of acceptance
35. He checks if his instruments meet the criteria for evaluation. Which of the following criteria refers to the consistency or the ability to yield the same response upon its repeated administration?
36. Which criteria refer to the ability of the instrument to detect fine differences among the subjects being studied?
37. Which of the following terms refer to the degree to which an instrument measures what it is supposed to be measure?
38. He plans for his sampling method. Which sampling method gives equal chance to all units in the population to get picked?
39. Raphael is interested to learn more about transcultural nursing because he is assigned at the family suites where most patients come from different cultures and countries. Which of the following designs is appropriate for this study?
40. The nursing theorist who developed transcultural nursing theory is